THE FIGHT FOR THE NHS
THE FIGHT CONTINUES - FUTURE DEMANDS
- We should demand the repeal of the Health & Social Care act - but also backing in the here and now from trade unions and political parties for action against its implementation.
- A “PLEDGE” has been drawn up for clinical commissioning groups, which could also be sent to BMA and other conferences, and raised with PCT clusters. (See below)
KEEPING UP A NATIONAL CAMPAIGN
- We need national action against the act and the ongoing attacks on the NHS. We should continue to campaign for a Defend the NHS national demonstration to be organises by the TUC and trade unions. The Unite executive has already agreed to call for one.
- We can’t wait indefinitely. You can vote for 38 degrees to call a demonstration here: http://tinyurl.com/84xaaoz. (members get more votes!)
- We should make the NHS an issue during the GLA and local elections. Some health workers led by Dr Clive Peedell of Bevan’s run fame are proposing to stand in the next general election against those who have supported the bill.
NATIONALLY COORDINATED LOCAL ACTION
- AGAINST THE PRIVATE COMPANIES – STARTING WITH VIRGIN
We will organise action to highlight “Virgin Care” with protests at Virgin stores in London after Easter, and invite other groups to organise similar protests round the country.
- TO HIGHLIGHT OUR DEMAND FOR THE “PLEDGE”
Encourage local groups to consider organising protests and occupations at the board meetings of Primary Care Trust clusters (as KONP did at Oxfordshire PCT)
MAKING THE BILL UNWORKABLE – RESIST EVERY ATTACK
- Contact local Clinical Commissioning Groups to sign up to the pledge.
- Organise a campaign against any threat of privatisation or cuts.
- Encourage health workers to take action against cuts.
- Work with the new ‘healthwatch’ patients’ groups, but ensure that local patients’ and campaign groups act as effective opposition.
COORDINATING THE CAMPAIGN
- Whilst we need as much coordination as possible at national level, local groups are key to mobilising and effective campaigning.
- Organise fringe meetings at union conferences to publicise and win backing for the campaign.
- NATIONAL NHS SUPPORTERS CONFERENCE 23 June
Friends House, Euston Rd, NW1 organised by Keep Our NHS Public and NHS Support Federation will be a chance for all organisations to discuss the way forward.
FUTURE LOCAL ACTION
Lewisham KONP Meeting 22 March 7pm Waldron Health Centre, New Cross
Haringey Meeting 27 March 7.30pm Three Compasses, Hornsey High Street N8 7NX
Hackney KONP Meeting 29 March 7.30pm Stamford Hill Library, Stamford Hill, N16 5QT
Camden KONP Meeting 02 April 7pm St Paul’s Church, Camden Sq, NW1
Protest at Circle Health 05 April Welbeck St, W1
Ealing meeting April tbc
Brent meeting 18 April tbc
Virgin London Marathon 22 April – Encourage runners to wear appropriate signs!
Next London KONP meeting Tuesday 17 April 7pm venue tbc
The action points above were agreed as proposals for local groups at the London Keep Our NHS Public meeting on 20 March 2012